- ½ cup gram flour (besan)
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Water to make batter
- About 30 fresh spinach leaves
- Oil to fry
- Mix all the dry ingredients together: besan, rice flour, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds and salt. Rice flour adds to the crispness.
- Add the water slowly to make a smooth batter (batter should be thin consistency).
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.
- To check if the oil is ready, put one drop of batter in oil. The batter should come up but not change color right away.
- Dip the spinach leaf into the batter one at a time, making sure it is covered by the batter completely. Then, slowly drop in the slices into the frying pan.
- Fry the pakoras, it will take about 2 to 3 minutes to cook.
- Turn them occasionally. Fry the pakoras until both sides are golden-brown.
- The crispy, delicious pakoras are now ready to serve.